[kictanet] [mediaeditors] Safaricom's Super Profits

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Sat May 18 22:58:36 EAT 2013

 @ Edith+ 1 .

From: eadera at idrc.ca
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 19:52:20 +0000
Subject: Re: [kictanet] [mediaeditors]  Safaricom's Super Profits
CC: mediaeditors at lists.kictanet.or.ke; christoph.stork at googlemail.com; kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke
To: ggithaiga at hotmail.com

Alison,

This provides some interesting insights. To what extent is consumer behaviour a factor in the equation here? Kenyans seem to be very peculiar. For e.g. the
 Ghanaian market seems to have different consumer behaviour resulting in very vibrant tariff offerings lowering prices compared to Kenya and consumers move to other networks when unsatisfied, we simply don’t, why? So in Ghana you have MSPs tripping over each
 other offering all sorts of incentives – so you have a semblance of true competition. I wonder what your RIA results for Ghana show over the past decade?

RIA may want to explore a qualitative study (if you haven’t already done so) to accompany your current analysis to explain the numbers and trends with a human
 face.

Indeed, I look forward to the results of your study on Kenya (with some comparative analysis)  and the face2face interaction. I do hope you will have a structured
 debate on KICTANET once you study results are out.

Edith