[kictanet] Safaricom's Super Profits

Edith Adera eadera at idrc.ca
Sat May 18 11:38:42 EAT 2013

Listers,

Making or breaking records is fine (I've no problem with that). But what does it say when a company makes "super profits" as it's termed in economics? Are we getting the consumer price right? Is this the case of "market position and market power<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_power>"?

Despite regulation, competition and trying to level the playing field etc, the Kenyan telecom market is still not right! It requires further research to unearth the sticky issues! why are consumer prices still so high? What's so "PECULIAR" about Kenyans as Michael Joseph once remarked?

Reflective Edith