[kictanet] Cheapest prepaid product by operator in Kenya

Alice Munyua alice at apc.org
Wed May 8 17:12:52 EAT 2013

Hi Stephen,

Thank you!

The billing and QoS issue you raise is a very good idea, but one that will
require an extensive study and be conducted by CCK.

The RIA online resource is not a study rather a framework to provide
comparative analysis of operators. The data was collected from what is
available on each operators website and does not investigate the
differences between advertised and actual prices.

best
Alice

> Hi Alice:
>
> Thanks for sharing. Speaking as a consumer (on 2 of the 4 MSP's), it is
takes more than a risk to accept the many generalizations in the scanty
study's findings. The fact that the "OECD Basket Price: 40 calls per
month prepaid basket (2010 definition)" remains contentious is also a
matter of debate. The findings could be premised on a dangerous
assumption that the prevailing respective tariff structures by the 4
MSP's is what is actually billed. The answer is no. Why? We have too
many complaints of parasitic and expensive short-code services as well
as hidden costs especially amongst the top 2 MSP's. Unless you have a
detailed local study using opened up indicators, measured on dominant
prepaid tariffs - on both on-net and off-net calls and based on well
sampled actual billing, the study findings could be as deceptive as they
are misleading. What would equally be important is to define "cheap"
beyond the money aspect. You need to examine the link between the
tariff, quality and reliability of service. Safe for the general trends,
findings and conclusions are alien to majority Kenyan consumers actual
experience.