[kictanet] Can we learn from the French?

Evans Ikua ikua.evans at gmail.com
Thu May 2 09:38:03 EAT 2013

Daktari, am sure there is a lot we can learn from the French. One of the
reason why the rich countries are rich is because they believe in getting
value fo every penny that they spend. As the Brits say, take care of the
pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves. Its about investing
our resources where we will get the best value.

Jacques Marzin, the French state CIO, confirmed on Monday that government
is working hard at implementing the Open Source Guidelines signed last year
by Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault. The guidelines promote the use of free
softwares and open source in French ministries.

M. Marzin was one of the speakers at a conference called the "Etats
généraux de l’Open Source", the first organized in France by the government
and Syntec Numérique, an IT trade union.
See this link:
France's CIO: 'Implementation of Open Source Guidelines on its
way'<http://joinup.ec.europa.eu/news/frances-cio-implementation-open-source-guidelines-its-way>

"Open source allows us to spend our resources smarter", the CIO said. It
also promotes the use of open standard to make government’s systems more
interoperable. "It is like building one unique system". Free software and
open source are a way to promote the concept of sharing the building of IT
systems in government and help to modernise the state.

The french state spend annually 3,8 billion euro in its IT, including 300
million euro in software licences et support. "We have to remain more and
more vigilant and every services have to be efficient", he explained.
Ikua

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 10:23 PM, Bitange Ndemo <bitange at jambo.co.ke> wrote:

> http://www.rudebaguette.com/2013/04/30/10-pro-startup-measures-francois-hollande-announced-this-week/
>

> Ndemo.