[kictanet] Internet - Slow

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 13:48:48 EAT 2013

And just to make it clear, the magnification of the DDoS problem is
uncalled for. I am still wondering why someone decided to call it the
"biggest cyber attack in history". Realtime Black Lists (RBLs) are
special-purpose DNS servers only contacted by SMTP engines (for those who
have configured their SMTP engines to do so) and it's not a default setting
in many SMTP servers, IIRC.
The so called cyber attack would only slow down e-mail processing for those
servers using the spamhaus RBLs. There is no way this is supposed to
translate into slow speeds for DNS queries which are not directed towards
RBLs. And how some guys managed to glue that to the Fiber cuts remains a
mystery. Maybe rumor-mongers who like adding salt to make their rumor look
real.

On 28 March 2013 12:11, Dennis Kioko <dmbuvi at gmail.com> wrote:

> The cable cuts and the Denial of Service attack on some servers are
> unrelated. The problem in East Africa is due to cable cuts in Egypt. A
> Denial of service attack is the equivalent of a stampede, where too many
> people (internet requests) are trying to squeeze in through a small opening
> - the point here being the many requests are malicious and designed to make
> the opening inaccessible to legitimate users.
>
> On 28 March 2013 11:12, Peres Were <peres_were at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Edith
>>
>> The link below may explain it:
>>
>> Global internet slowdown after biggest cyber-attack in history | Mail
>> Online
>>

>> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2299999/Global-internet-slowdown-biggest-cyber-attack-history.html
>>
>> Peres
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On Mar 28, 2013, at 11:07, Edith Adera <eadera at idrc.ca> wrote:
>>
>>  Listers,****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> I wonder if I’m the only one who’s experiencing slow Internet since
>> yesterday – both official and personal connection. Anyone knows what’s
>> going on?****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Edith****

> with Regards:
>
> blog.denniskioko.com <http://www.denniskioko.com/>

Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
Nairobi,KE
+254733744121/+254722743223
"I can't hear you -- I'm using the scrambler."