[kictanet] Are we throwing the baby with the bath water?

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Thu Mar 28 08:27:22 EAT 2013

Listers

Voltaire, the Famour French Historian and Philosopher once said

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death
your right to say
it.<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/v/voltaire109645.html>
"

I am writing this post due to the interesting times that we live in.  There
is a lot of emotions, bigotry, outright tribalism and jingoism being
bandied around the country in many channels - Online responses to media
stories, FM Station talk shows, social media, work places, bars etc. Whilst
I abore the very nature of some of the discussions we have fought too hard
for freedom of expression and association to blanketly condemn everything
whole sale.

I have just read a story in today's nation titled *'14 Bloggers linked to
hate messages'*.

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/14-bloggers-linked-to-hate-messages/-/1056/1732288/-/cut5kvz/-/index.html

The gist of the story is that the bloggers are using the anonymity of the
internet to spread hate, tribalism etc.and they are being 'hunted down'
like rabid dogs.  What  I found interesting is this particular paragraph:-

*Mr Robert Alai, a well-known blogger was on Tuesday charged with posting
“annoying” statements on social media sites, Twitter and Facebook.*

For those of us who follow Robert on Social Media you may be forgiven if
you think he is the 'Village Mad Man'. However he is a Kenyan and has a
right to free speech. I do not excuse some of the stuff being posted online
but I sincerely do hope that when one is being charged at our law courts
the charge sheet does not say that he or she is charged in court for
posting 'Annoying Statements'!!

A few months ago Eric Hershman (whiteafrican.com) posted a blog defending
Robert's right to his unique brand of 'journalism' and I am one of those
who commented on the blog saying that one needs to take responsibility for
his actions.

http://whiteafrican.com/2012/08/22/kenyas-slippery-censorship-slope/

Now I see where Eric was going... Oh the power of Retrospection.

I urge the Powers That Be to delicately balance and be circumspect on how
they use the tools of state lest we run rough shod on the very freedoms
that allow us to freely comment, post online our opinions. As Voltaire said
- I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your
right to say it.

Let us all take a step back and ensure that we do not fall victim to the
tyranny of the few who have decided to interpret for us what is good or bad
for our beloved nation.

*Ali Hussein*

*CEO, 3mice interactive media ltd*

*Partner, Telemedia Africa Ltd