[kictanet] Kenya’s PKI Destined for Failure?

Evans Ikua ikua.evans at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 11:56:45 EAT 2013

Brian, you are right on your observations. But one thing that I disagree
with you is the bit regarding human resource capacity. This is what you
have said:
*
"Human Resource Issues:* Several times in their presentations the Koreans
complained that they had observed a critical lack of human resources. They
emphasized that they were not referring to *skilled* human resources but
simply to *enough people* for the project requirements. Shock of shocks!
With the incredible numbers of well educated Kenyans who are unemployed or
underemployed?"

Unfortunately they are right and I agree with them. One of the biggest
problems we have in Kenya is the lack of adequate advance skills in IT.
This should be pretty obvious even in this case as we have to now depend on
Koreans to implement PKI for us, as sensitive as this project is.
Implementing PKI is not a walk in the park, and am sure the number of
professionals who can do this in Kenya may be in the handfulls, not in the
thousands. I stand to be corrected. what we have in Kenya is thousands of
youth who have basic IT skills, and a small group who have managed to get
the advanced skills that matter. The talent is there, but it needs to be
developed and equipped with the very advanced skills that make a
difference. Please also connect this with our BPO initiatives. What the
Koreans are doing here is making money by outsourcing their knowledge to us.

So how did they get there? 5 years ago Korea used to make nearly twice our
current annual budget just from Software services. I wonder how much they
make now. Their Government implemented a strategy that offers advanced
software development skills to its youth, ensuring that they have the
capacity to compete on the global scale.

My take is that we are collectively underskilled when it comes to advanced
IT skills.

Evans

Kind Regards,
Evans Ikua,*