[kictanet] Sample of results from Survey information for election day

Warigia Bowman warigia at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 00:24:13 EAT 2013

Wenzangu

Can you believe that the electionwas 16 days ago? Sometimes it feels like
it was yesterday, and sometimes it feels like it was last year.

Anyway, I just want to *thank* those Kictanet members who helped me to
collect data about ICT usage on election day. Those people included Wambui
Ngugi, Mwendwa Kivuva, Muchiri Nyaggah, Norbert Wildermuth, Grace Githaiga,
Michael Bullut and Brian Longwe.

I think all in all we collected about 70 surveys on election day.  I have
not keyed them all in. This database has some very rich information, and
some surprising results. Bottom line 1) *Kictanet rocks* 2) *Crowdsourcing
works*.

I have asked my colleagues to give me permission to give your more
information about the data we collected in summarized form, We have a LOT
more questions than shown here, but here is a delicious taste. If you want
to contribute your experience to this noble project, contact  *Michael
Bullut at main at kipsang.com**. *We are closing survey collection this
weekend because the social media is beginning to distort people's
perceptions.

        Number of Surveys  23      Age of youngest voter  20      Age of
Oldest voter  67      How many received text messages day of election?  7
30.43%    Sample text messages Yes, exchanged with a friend to remind me to
vote wisely to the candidate of our choice. Yes.There were some aspirants
who tried to text messages, writing their names Senator, Governor.  Yes. We
need our country even after elections so we can continue with daily lives.
Let us vote peacefully and avoid inceitement. We are all Kenyans!  Changed
their vote on the basis of a textbook or facebook message.   0

     Received a text message warning to stay away from polls 0      Sample
comments on election People should stop voting on tribal lines I
experiencedthe peace. I cannot expect anything worse. According to the
behavior, it is going to be a peaceful election in Nairobi.  I was
frustrated and disappointed that the election was manual and slow, not
based on the immense technological advances in the country. This was more
so after all the hype and excitement that the election and the tallying
process was technology driven. I left the polling station hoping that
nothing would go wrong with the manual process as it happened in 2007. The
entire technology eventually failed at the tallying process and now
allegations have arisen that the manual process has been comprised. Instead
of feeling happy for an election well conducted and won by the superior
candidate, I continue feeling a sense of apprehension. Like something about
to explode. A feeling as though the prevailing peace is not genuine. It is
an oppressive peace only celebrated by the winners.

--
Dr. Warigia Bowman
Assistant Professor
wbowman at clintonschool.uasys.edu
http://democratizingegypt.blogspot.com
View my research on my SSRN Author page:
http://ssrn.com/author=1479660