[kictanet] Role of the Media in Kenyan Elections

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Sun Mar 17 13:12:36 EAT 2013

Edith,
I assumed that your opening statement quoting me was in reference to
government.  That is why I explained the policy interventions that the
government has put in place to enable freedom of expression.

While we have the necessary legal framework, we the people are held back
by lack of a common value system.  These laws that we borrowed have some
underlying assumptions that we often miss when we try to enterpret them.
Politicians must be honest and come out clearly that they are the basis of
IEBC problems (which in my view have been covered widely by media in a
responsible manner).  We all know that Voter Registration was to start in
September.  We all know that party nominations should have been finished
by November.  Let us not ask media to deal with issues in the abstract
form without analysisng why we have problems everywhere.

In the media for example we need to foster competition by creating more
media ownership but we often find ways to kill such moves.  Take for
example Digital Migration where CCK has given out 150 licenses for
broadcast.  Some of these channels are to address issues that the current
media ignores.  Jane for example who is on this list took up a channel to
provide education to the most disadvantaged groups in society such as
maids who work more than 15 hours a day.  The elite through consumer
groups found their way to court citing protection of the poor.

A liberalized media and availability of broadcast channels will benefit
mwananchi since quality of content and niche markets (focus on thematic
areas) is what will be key to success.  This is the only way of changing
the local media ownership landscape and putting pressure on what we get to
see and hear from Media.  We are our own greatest enemies when it comes to
reforms.

If I understood the actions of media correctly, they were trying to avoid
being used to propagate party propaganda by allowing time to analyze
through the issues.  Nowhere in the world media allows what we did in 2007
where we aired raw propaganda.  We need to do more analytics just like
most advanced countries.  The change in their strategy is good in
fostering the growth of our media.  They therefore need to suppress raw
content and give us detailed analysis of what will foster development.
This is the balance I was talking about.

If you have read today's Nation, indeed foreign media has admitted that
they came to see us spill blood.  Do not be cheated by Michela Wrongs on
the failings of the local journalists.  We shall fail in our
responsibilities if our media do as they are expected by their foreign
counterparts.

I can write a book on our collective failures and the unfortunate habit of
trying to place blame elsewhere.  Let us take responsibility and help this
country grow.  Media has shown that they can be indipendent and
responsible.

Ndemo.