[kictanet] Has the ICT Sector Failed?

n_macharia at yahoo.co.uk n_macharia at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 11 17:40:46 EAT 2013

Listers do We recall this!?

Electronic Voting Systems in Africa
 ICT Africa Writer
February 26, 2013

With the help of Google and mobile phone companies in Kenya, the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission is implementing an electronic voting system. The commission has come up with a plan that will guarantee election transparency and quick delivery of election results.

"Results from each of the polling stations will be transmitted to three counting centres, using the Electronic Results Transmission (ERT) platform. With rapid delivery of results, suspicion of results tempering will hopefully be put to rest."

After Kenya has pioneered this form of voting system in Africa, we hope other countries in Africa, including Zimbabwe, will follow their steps. We have always maintained that Africa should be able to by-pass some technologies and adapt the latest and most appropriate applications for our unique situations. We should not be held back from pioneering new voting technologies just because they may not be widely adapted in the developed world.

And this why we need to investigate what happened. Its no wonder the process is suspect. The objective as captured in "election transparency and quick transmissiopn of results" was guaranteed...who is fooling who?

Nancy