[kictanet] Is Kenyan Media Asleep?

Sam Gichuru gichuru at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 12:56:09 EAT 2013

Edith, While @AFP @BBCbreaking are looking for ratings, the local media
houses are being protective and thinking ahead, "what kind of impact would
those allegations if aired have on the local Mwananchi"

if the honorable PM has evidence then, we can trust our judicial system to
deal with that, a press conference is absolutely useless unless you are
looking for support from the local mwananchi which would result in chaos.

Of course some listers might still argue that information is important and
that does not endanger any lives which humbly I see as being naive
and simplistic.

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Edith Adera <eadera at idrc.ca> wrote:

>  Listers,****
>
> ** **
>
> With the information revolution, news makes round at the speed of light.**
> **
>
> ** **
>
> Why should we be getting breaking news of this kind (below) from
> international news? Why not from our local media? Should our source of
> information be by international media houses? ****
>
> ** **
>
> The media is represented on this list, what’s going on?****
>
> ** **
>
> Agence France-Presse (@AFP) tweeted at 11:44 AM on Thu, Mar 07, 2013:
> #BREAKING: Running mate of Kenya PM Odinga - one of the frontrunners in
> Monday's presidential polls - alleges vote-rigging****
>
> ** **
>
> BBC Breaking News (@BBCBreaking) tweeted at 0:02 PM on Thu, Mar 07, 2013:
> Party of 2nd-placed candidate in Kenyan elections, Raila Odinga, says it
> has evidence that results are being "doctored"****

Warm Regards,
------------------------
Sam Gichuru