[kictanet] Is Kenyan Media Asleep?

Edith Adera eadera at idrc.ca
Thu Mar 7 12:21:33 EAT 2013

Listers,

With the information revolution, news makes round at the speed of light.

Why should we be getting breaking news of this kind (below) from international news? Why not from our local media? Should our source of information be by international media houses?

The media is represented on this list, what's going on?

Agence France-Presse (@AFP) tweeted at 11:44 AM on Thu, Mar 07, 2013:
#BREAKING: Running mate of Kenya PM Odinga - one of the frontrunners in Monday's presidential polls - alleges vote-rigging

BBC Breaking News (@BBCBreaking) tweeted at 0:02 PM on Thu, Mar 07, 2013:
Party of 2nd-placed candidate in Kenyan elections, Raila Odinga, says it has evidence that results are being "doctored"