[kictanet] (no subject)

Gilda Odera godera at skyweb.co.ke
Wed Mar 6 10:40:45 EAT 2013

Listers,

I beg to differ here. It is about time we became perfectionists and stopped making excuses for our failure to ensure that the system was FULLY functional before the actual election took place. It is true that systems fail but in this case, it never really worked properly RIGHT FROM THE ONSET. If we keep adopting this attitude that 'systems fail' how will the processes and efficiencies ever be improved? It is wise to accept our weaknesses so we can improve on them. The moment the writing was on the wall, IEBC ICT Team should have advised of the risk of proceeding with the failing system in order for them to simply announce that they would have to run the elections on a dully manual system-expectations must always be managed, especially knowing how crucial these particular elections are for every party. Why is it that we don't normally read that systems failed during elections in all other countries. Probably because they fully prepare and have back up systems that work I event one fails!

Regards,

Gilda Odera

On Mar 6, 2013, at 9:52 AM, Erik Hersman <erik at zungu.com> wrote:

> Agreed with Evans here.
>
> Every single tech system has problems, that IEBC does as well should be no surprise.  I've been spending last night and this morning trying to better understand how the IEBC's data flow works, their lack of clarity here is the only problem that I can find.  You can see my questions, sources and even the IEBC RFP for the system here: http://iebctechkenya.tumblr.com/
>
> Polling station uses Safaricom SIM cards »
> App installed in phone, proprietary software from IFES »
> Transmitted via Safaricom’s VPN »
> Servers hosted/managed by Next  Technologies (needs confirmation) »
> Google hosted website at http://vote.iebc.or.ke »
> Google hosted API at http://api.iebc.or.ke
>
> You'll note that, besides the IEBC itself, there are at least 4 (large) organizations that have to be in sync in order for the system to work (Safaricom, IFES, Next Technologies, and Google).  That's no small task, and as you can see by the list of companies involved, these are largely not local companies.
>

> Erik Hersman
>
> www.ushahidi.com | www.iHub.co.ke
> www.whiteafrican.com | @whiteafrican
>
> On Mar 6, 2013, at 9:42 AM, Evans Ikua <ikua.evans at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Edith, I beg to differ. Its not ICT that has failed here. Its the processes. Just throwing some expensive servers and plenty of bandwidth at a problem will not solve it. The top leadership has to fully understand their organization's ICT strategy. They have to internalize the opportunities that technology brings to the table, as well as the inherent risks that come with it. This cannot be left to techies, however good they may be. The reason being that if the organization that you lead fails (and the reason was technology), its you who is answerable, not the techies. This is the spirit of IT Governance.
>>
>> It would be interesting to know if the IEBC commissioners fully understand the risks of the technologies that they are relying on.
>> Let us not blame the technology.
>>
>> Evans
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM, Edith Adera <eadera at idrc.ca> wrote:
>> Listers,
>>
>> It is a shame that for the first time in Kenya's history when IT is given a chance to bring credibility and efficiency in the electoral process, ICT has failed SPECTACULARLY!
>>
>> what went wrong?
>>
>> Edith
>>
>> The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform for people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and development.

> [...]

Regards,

Gilda Odera

Regards,

Gilda Odera