[kictanet] Has the ICT Sector Failed?

n_macharia at yahoo.co.uk n_macharia at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 7 10:01:14 EAT 2013

This is a case of unethical behaviour! As professionals we know the key requirements of this sort of a system interms of design and deployment, hence what and how to test(reliability, security, accuracy, scalability, performance and concurrency).

 In the IEBC case, the minimum expected would have been sufficient planning for integration and testing with reliable test cases and test data. From the start,  this did not happen! What shuld we expect out of WYSIWYG) what you see is what you get)!

Lets not blame technology when defeated in harnessing its power. The BVR did not work in some polling stations, some laptops lost power and its then that staff started looking for sockets and cables.. then no sockets... If this is replicated at the tallying centres national or county levels, what has technology to do with this?

This country has stamped its mark on the world map as the centre of many technovations

In my opinion, IEBC failed to adequately prepare.  Various tests including, stress test, performance tests,  path tests, load/traffic tests etc were not performed to a satisfactory level. The ICT staff performed simulations (black box) testng of a very rudimentary nature.

The best we could with water now under the bridge is to do a post term begining with requirements specification all the way to implementation, system conversion strategy and alignment. The process needs to be driven by user centered philosophy and participatory in approach to address key stakes. This is my reflection.

Nancy

Sent from my BlackBerry®