[kictanet] Results Transmission System

ICT Researcher ict.researcher at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 6 20:29:11 EAT 2013

A wake-up call to Kenyans to be wary of "put all your eggs in the glorious IT basket" peddlers?  Unless you built the platform, owned and operated it, then your best could be no more than a washer in the system, a rain drop in the ocean or a mere subject in the digital kingdom. In which case the manual system restores IEBC to its due authoritative standing.

Some food for thought:

'Engineering: Designed to Fail' - Henry
Petroski, American Scientist, Volume
85

“Failure in engineering, as in lif,
is considered a negative quality--something to be avoided. When we
hear that a system has failed or a device has broken, we begin to
look for causes and culprits even as we are caring for victims and
cleaning up the pieces. We want o identify how and why each failure
happened so that we can prevent it in the future. Was the design
defective? Were the materials flawed? Was the maintenance negligent?
Was the use excessive? Such are the questions of a failure analysis,
determined to get to the heart of the matter so that blame and
liability can be assigned, and things can be redesigned. In this
sense, failed things and their makers can be said to be vindicated;
they provide lessons for improvement and for the advancement of
civilization.
There is another aspect of failure, one
that from the beginning puts the usual pejorative connotation of the
word in a much more positive light. We actually want certain things
to fail and break, for otherwise we would be frustrated in their use
and possibly even harmed by their existence. The challenge to the
engineer in this case is to design systems and devices that have
well-defined and predictable failure and breaking points so that such
physical phenomena as collapse fracture happen in the way and at the
time they are supposed to."

JSTOR link: http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/27856846?uid=3738336&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&sid=21101736419923