[kictanet] Day-time Vulgar Conversations on Kenya Media

Matunda Nyanchama mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Fri Jun 28 17:01:28 EAT 2013

Two comments

- Kudos Robert Yawe for the you take in the presence of vulgar stuff. Good for you. That said, ask yourself how many hours you spend with your kids in a day. If you are as busy as most parents are, you will find that your children are spending more time with other people than with you. And those that interact with, what they do when together, what they share when they so interact you probably wouldn't know.  But eh! You are doing the best in challenged circumstances!

- Peter Kenduiywo: Even in societies (like in the west with a high degree of liberalism) there are guidelines on these matters. Everything that is shown on TV, theatre, etc.has a code and (where necessary) there are warning before and during the show asking those that don't want such content to switch channels or choose to watch. In fact, there are strict guidelines on in public, even when people know it happens. Peter: there is no absolute freedom; indeed, yours ends where mine stops. That said, social mores and what is acceptable in public or not changes with time. For instance I recall debates regarding women wearing trousers, mini-skirts and the like, which today will likely look out of order. Finally on homosexuality, former Canadian PM (the late Pierre Trudeau) had it right: what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their homes is their business. Just don't shove things in others' faces. Vulgar material in Kenyan media is like the latter:
 shoving stuff in our faces, regardless of our feelings.

Kudos CCK for the initiative. I hope the process will be speeded up.

Have a good weekend.
Matunda Nyanchama, PhD, CISSP; mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Agano Consulting Inc.;  www.aganoconsulting.com; Twitter: nmatunda;  Skype: okiambe
Manage your ICT risks! We are the experts you need! The trusted partners you deserve!
Call: +1-888-587-1150 (Canada) +254-20-267-0743 (Kenya) or info at aganoconsulting.com
In Kenya - Licensed by Communications Commission of Kenya (CCK)
This e-mail, including attachments, may be privileged and may contain confidential or proprietary information intended only for the addressee(s). Any other distribution, copying, use, or disclosure is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete the message, including any attachments, without making a copy. Thank you.