[kictanet] CCK to renew Safaricom's licence

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Wed Jul 31 03:32:11 EAT 2013

@Walu

What do you call a Monopoly created not by the Government (ala Kenya Power, KPTC, KPA etc) but by the market/consumer through sheer innovation and good leadership?

Hauling these in court and trying to break them up misses the point. What the market and consumer can give, it can take away (in a Nairobi minute!). The US Government in the early part of the century broke up Standard Oil because at one point it was supplying 90% of kerosene to households across the US (Yes, there was a time that electricity was not ubiquitous and kerosene was the energy source to light up homes). The government broke it up. But electricity rendered the monopoly irrelevant. The same can be said for Microsoft, Apple, Google, Facebook etc. the market is not perfect but it is more efficient than the Government - any day.

Oh by the way..almost a century later, the different parts of Standard Oil (more than 20 pieces of it) have morphed back again into one - Today we know the company as ExxonMobil. But it is far from a monopoly. For those of you who are interested you can read/watch about this in the series called 'The men who built America'. Just Google it.

As for Safaricom. They continue to innovate and ignore their customers at the same time. A paradox really because with all their innovations they are forgetting another important innovation area - their operations. I suspect there is another Pesky Start Up waiting to eat their lunch and the best we can do is not to put ideas into the regulator's mind that they can overstep their mandate.. Their's is not to break up monopolies but to provide a level playing field and let Wanjiku decide where to put her Shilingis.

My two cowries

Ali Hussein
CEO | 3mice interactive media Ltd
Principal | Telemedia Africa Ltd

+254 713 601113/ 0770 906375

"The future belongs to him who knows how to wait." - Russian Proverb

Sent from my iPad