[kictanet] CCK to renew Safaricom's licence

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Sat Jul 27 04:22:46 EAT 2013

Wambua

Thanks for sharing. That's quite abit of change there! :) may I ask a few questions?

1. How does the exchequer spend this money? Is this plowed back into the sector or does it go into the big kitty and used up among the other monies in the treasury?

2. When are the other telcos licenses coming up for renewal? I'm asking this as I feel its pertinent and linked to the continued vibrancy and competitiveness in the sector. I'm very curious whether the other Telcos - Orange, Yu and Airtel have the local balance sheets to afford this new fee unless their mother companies bail them out. The case of Orange is obvious. They are already asking Telcom France and the Kenyan Government to pump in several billion shillings in a rescue package. So my question is this:- When these licenses come up for renewal and these companies fail to pay up what's the plan? Will we yank their licenses?

3. Lastly Wambua, I have asked this question severally. Where are we at on the issue of the Universal Access Fund? Based on the presentation by Madame Susan Mochache-Wekesa it is very obvious that the country requires to double up on the rollout of the NOFBI to ensure universal broadband access. We know that the members are now in place and its been several months. Can we have a status report on the activities so far and their 5 year Strategic Plan?

Thanks

Ali Hussein
CEO | 3mice interactive media Ltd
Principal | Telemedia Africa Ltd

+254 713 601113/ 0770 906375

"The future belongs to him who knows how to wait." - Russian Proverb

Sent from my iPad