[kictanet] [ISOC_KE] Thoughts on Kenya's National Broadband Strategy

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 15:11:35 EAT 2013

Hi Brian,

You raise a very important issue. I attended the broadband meeting and
whereas it was elaborately organized there is a lot of discomfort that i
will raise on this platform.

Clearly it appears the multi stakeholder model is under serious attack and
if we are not careful the gains we have made in the last 10 years in
building an enviable ICT community Internationaly will go down the drain. I
interacted with several technocrats and to my dismay majority of those in
Civil Society Organisations that are meant to check the government are
branded as trouble makers. Difference in opinion is treated as personal
affront , worse still it was clear that our input no longer matters to put
it bluntly from the few engagements i had this morning, we are resource
persons. You may have noticed that COFEK raised a similar issue in a press
release and i have just seen an email from a lister in which he was quoting
the CS that some people are making noise in a corner which i found to be
undiplomatic if at all it is true.
You have spoken for many who are murmuring and i hope the Cabinet Secretary
who is on this list takes note of this concerns, once goodwill is lost it
might take time to recover it  and this will result in stalled or worse
still failed projects. We need meaningful engagement based on national
aspirations not personal preferences and cronyism, i agree meaningless
stakeholder consultations should be put to an end, we need a clear process
of soliciting for public input, the same should show when the public views
have been dropped and why? ever wondered why open data is still a myth to
name but a few?

Best Regards

Barrack O. Otieno
+254721325277