[kictanet] Request for opinion: What does "open" mean to you?

Simeon Oriko simeonoriko at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 00:07:15 EAT 2013

Listers,

The School of Open <https://p2pu.org/en/schools/school-of-open/> at Peer 2
Peer University (P2PU) is starting up a new round of courses in August,
2013, and one of those is a course called “Why Open?” I’m writing to ask if
you could fill out a very short survey to help contribute some content to
this course.

“Why Open?” is a 3-week long, facilitated course (meaning that participants
and facilitators all go through it at the same time, rather than
asynchronously) that is designed to help participants learn more about
openness, recognize the benefits and challenges that can arise from opening
up content or practices, and engage in some open practices themselves. It
will run August 5-23, though participants will also complete a final
project due around the end of August. You can see a draft of the course
here: https://p2pu.org/en/courses/588/why-open/

In the first section of the course we ask participants to come with their
own, preliminary understandings of what openness means. Then we will show
them definitions by third parties and discuss the various meanings. We want
to gather views from people with different expertise and backgrounds. One
thing we will discuss is whether there are patterns in views of openness
depending on profession or activity (e.g., do those in the sciences
understand it differently than those in the technology fields, than those
in arts or humanities, than those in business, etc.).

We have a section in the draft course where these definitions will go,
which you can see here: https://p2pu.org/en/courses/588/content/1143/

We have created a short survey (basically 2 questions, plus demographic
info and request for links), and would love it if you could take a moment
to fill it out. It should take you about five minutes.

The survey can be found here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1rxV_sdlyejuQT2_iJ-b6A5MZT91o3_oYi2QM8FIoV5M/viewform

We would like your response by *midnight on Sunday August 4 (N. America
time) at the latest.*

Thank you for considering this request, and we do hope you will take the
time to contribute to this course!

Sincerely,
Pete Forsyth, Christina Hendricks, Jeannette Lee, Simeon Oriko, Jane Park
(organizers for Why Open? course)
--
Simeon Oriko | Digital and Innovation Strategist

Web: www.mtotowajirani.com | Twitter:
@mtotowajirani<https://twitter.com/mtotowajirani>

LinkedIn: ke.linkedin.com/in/simeonoriko

Cell: +254 724 892 941 | Skype: simeonoriko