[kictanet] Why Startups Are Sporting Increasingly Quirky Names and why ccTLDs are increasingly becoming strategic (Read KeNIC)

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Sat Jul 20 04:53:11 EAT 2013

The current crop of startups boasts wacky spellings. The reason founders say, is that practically every new business—be it a popsicle maker or a furniture retailer—needs its own website. With about 252 million domain names currently registered across the Internet, the short, recognizable dot-com Web addresses, or URLs, have long been taken.

I may add that ccTLDs are also increasingly becoming important for various reasons - defensive registrations, Geo-Targeting, primary domain etc. The Article below is instructive.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324263404578611772689785466.html?mod=dist_smartbrief

As this sector becomes increasingly important I again urge KeNIC and CCK to come clean on the rumors of winding up KeNIC without wider consultation. The new Kenyan constitution demands more transparency and accountability and keeping silent on this issue only fuels more speculation.

Regards

Ali Hussein
CEO | 3mice interactive media Ltd
Principal | Telemedia Africa Ltd

+254 713 601113/ 0770 906375

"The future belongs to him who knows how to wait." - Russian Proverb

Sent from my iPad