[kictanet] DotConnectAfrica's response to dot Africa Reserve Name Policy Discussions (Introduction)

Gideon gideonrop at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 09:30:37 EAT 2013

DotConnectAfrica's response to dot Africa Reserve Name Policy Discussions
(Introduction)

DotConnectAfrica has been made aware the proposed discussion in the above
subject on the kictanet mailing lists.

We understand that there should be ongoing discussions that pertain to the
anticipated .africa top level domain name. However DotConnectAfrica feels
obliged to inform the general Listers who may have questions like Mr. Michael
Bullut below, that while the discussions are being conducted no
organization has been given the mandate to run the registry, since both
applicants for .africa new gTLD applications are undergoing initial
evaluations, and not even the evaluation results are published.

It’s our understanding that Uniforum has in many occasions attempted to
mainstream itself as the only front runner for the .africa gTLD. Some of
the information that has been posted in the past includes reports such as
“ICANN AGREES…THERE IS ONLY ONE APPLICANT FOR .AFRICA” (Link:
http://www.livdigital.com/icann-agreesthere-is-only-one-applicant-for-africa/)
and “New local domains see breakthrough” (Link:
http://www.itweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63397).
This information had only served to mislead the public who access this
information.  Towards this end, DotConnectAfrica has been forced to clarify
its positions continuously.   Some of the clarifications published by
DotConnectAfrica regarding .africa in the past are also available at the
following links:

·
http://www.prlog.org/12104946-dotconnectafrica-clarified-its-africa-bid-at-the-innovation-africa-digital-summit-in-addis-ababa.html
·
http://www.prlog.org/12146711-dotconnectafrica-update-status-of-our-gtld-application-current-engagements-with-the-uscongress.html
·
http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs053/1102516344150/archive/1110673257683.html
·
http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs053/1102516344150/archive/1110949549089.html
·
http://www.prlog.org/12004729-good-bye-dotafrica-significant-landmark-victory-in-the-battle-for-africa-gtld.html

Both applications are firmly under ICANN’s scrutiny and at no certain time
has ICANN given any information as to who has won the mandate for .africa.
Even as any online discussion is going on, let this be only for the good of
informing the public as a matter of general concept but not affiliated to
Uniforum nor DotConnectAfrica.

The online mail list members have a right to know facts and truth in order
to be able to discuss and deliberate wisely.

Further, DotConnectAfrica in its application to ICANN has put forward the
following as regards to Reserve Name Policy (RNL) that has been brought to
discussion in this list, you can find the entire response here:
https://gtldresult.icann.org/applicationstatus/applicationdetails/1276 in
the public portion of our application submission.

1.     DCA DotAfrica Registry Services has considered the relevant
provisions of the new gTLD Registry Agreement, the GAC Advice ʺGAC
Principles Regarding new TLDsʺ and the procedures adopted by other gTLD
registries and intend to use the procedure described below with regards to
protection of geographic names in the DotAfrica gTLD.

2.      Prior to the launch of DotAfrica gTLD, DCA DotAfrica Registry
Services will compile a list of country and territory names that are
subject to reservation at the second level.

3.      Pursuant to the specification provided in ICANNʹs Applicant
Guidebook, the list will include country and territory names based on the
following internationally recognized lists:

 o   The short form (in English) of all country and territory names
contained on the ISO 3166-1 list;

o   The United Nations Group of Experts on Geographical Names, Technical
Reference Manual for the Standardization of Geographical Names, Part III
Names of Countries of the World; and

o   The list of United Nations member states in 6 official United Nations
languages prepared by the Working Group on Country Names of the United
Nations Conference on the Standardization of Geographical Names;

As the above documents get updated from time to time, the exact list of
reserved names will be compiled shortly before the launch of DotAfrica gTLD
to account for any updates. The list of reserved names will be published on
the Registry website.

Reservation of specific country and territory names may be released to the
extent that Applicant reaches agreement with the applicable government(s).

Second level domain name for geographical and geopolitical names
Countries will be expected to identify and notify DCA DotAfrica Registry
Services on a limited list of broadly-recognised names (in all languages)
with regard to geographical and⁄or geopolitical concepts which affect their
political or territorial jurisdiction. Such lists include names that could
either not be registered or which could be registered only under the second
level domain in accordance with the public policy rules. The names included
in these lists are not subject to the first-come first-served principle.
DCA DotAfrica Registry Services will send out notifications to all the
relevant authorities in all countries and territories in the world to this
effect. Such names will be blocked by DCA DotAfrica Registry Services at
minimal cost. To this end, each country will be expected to send to DCA
DotAfrica Registry Services, two months to the commencement of the Sunrise
Period, a list of those names that should not be registered.

Finally, It’s unfortunate that DotConnectAfrica is being forced to clarify
again and again that no .africa applicant has been given a green light by
ICANN. This only goes to show how much needs to be done in terms of
informing the internet community about facts on the ICANN gTLD process,
transparency and the rule of the Applicants Guide Book.

Thank you for reading

Best Wishes,
Gideon Rop