[kictanet] KONZA GROUND BREAKING CEREMONY-CONGRATULATIONS

Phares Kariuki pkariuki at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 12:08:20 EAT 2013

We are not looking to do the easiest thing, we are trying to do the right thing, long term.

As I suggested, land rates have traditionally been used to do that. New York had similar issues. London had similar issues. Beijing has had similar issues. We are not the first to do this nor will we be the last.
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State_Tenement_House_Act
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Law_Tenement

A simpl(er) solution for example (given that we still need to live in Nairobi until Konza is complete and that even after that, the government will still reside within Nairobi) is to pass new laws concerning buildings in commercial areas. You can pass a law that says that all buildings should have x parking bays for every 100sq ft of office space (this number can be a decimal). That they should be a minimum of 12 floors (not including the parking bays). This eases pressure on the council parking (which can then be reclaimed by the government for the purpose of wider roads) - obviously this is a long term plan, but as Rousseau pointed out states necessarily need to have longer term thinking as they exist beyond the lifetime of human beings (his context was negative though). We still have a lot of land that is poorly used. The reason why property prices are ridiculously high is because the land rates do not encourage development.

My point is, a lot can be done that goes beyond building a new city. We need to figure out why the cities that developed organically (in-spite of the challenges that exist) developed and what can be done to accelerate that development.

| T: +254 720 406 093 | E: pkariuki at gmail.com (mailto:pkariuki at gmail.com) | Twitter: kaboro | Skype: kariukiphares | B: http://www.kaboro.com/ |