[kictanet] Digital migration and mass ignorance

Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Fri Jan 11 14:46:23 EAT 2013

IN SUMMARY

   - The five members states had agreed to go digital three years ahead of
   global schedule to ensure that they have ample time to fix any unforeseen
   glitches and enable them comply with 2015 global deadline.
   - However, only Tanzania adhered to the deadline by moving Dar-es-Salaam
   to the new system.
   - Policy makers say the move will give Tanzania an advantage in
   correcting technical hurdles that the country may encounter along the way
   as it migrates other part of the country.

A survey by *Xinhua* in Tanzania reveals that five out of 20 people they
interviewed in Arusha cannot access their favourite free-to- air channels
since the dealers of the gadgets mostly pay television providers who are
asking for a monthly fee Tsh9000(Sh489).

Only five out of 20 people interviewed in Dar es Salaam by *Xinhua* said
they have access to television broadcasts.

“We only have useless boxes in our living rooms for we cannot access any
stations without a decoder,” George Kaniki of Mbezi Louis, Dar es Salaam,
said in an interview.

According to a programme by the Tanzania Communications Regulatory
Authority (TCRA), regions set to follow in the switch- off will be Dodoma
and Tanga, whose analogue signals will be deactivated by the end of this
month.

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Dar-offers-hard-lessons-on-switch-to-digital-TV/-/1248928/1661608/-/item/1/-/c7587vz/-/index.html

www.transworldAfrica.com  | Fluent in computing
kenya.or.ke | The Kenya we know