[kictanet] Government Websites down - again?

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 10:19:50 EAT 2013

@Murigi,

Good question - but ofcourse no answers.  If the routing, dns and hosting plans were done with the Kenyan IXP in mind, Government of Kenya Services/content would not be bothered by TEAMS, SEACOM or any other International Link going down. Unfortunately, it appears each ministry does its own design/thing (if you are techie you can actually see this by running tests against their servers/domain names).

For me, i think the challenge is not at a technical level (governments globally can afford, train and retains some of the best brains), I believe it is an institutional and cultural challenge where each Ministry believes its has to retain control over its own infrastructure, its own applications, personnel and perhaps more importantly its own IT budgets.  This type of thinking is Government version 0 (pre-google).

Today progressive governments are talking Government 2.0 or Connected Government, where you move beyond ministry websites running in isolated mode towards a single portal or gateway to government services that floats on a shared info-structure and infra-structure.

And guess what is todays memo - I learnt all this  from the Kenyan eGovt Secretariat and ICT Board five years ago!.

walu.