[kictanet] Mocality closing down?

Brian Munyao Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 19:37:06 EAT 2013

Daktari,

I would like to humbly suggest that many of these international companies
that encounter mixed fortunes and eventually end up folding do so mostly
because they use the "parachute in, conquer, take no prisoners" approach
towards market entry. Going straight into hiring sales people and pushing
out to "close deals" as quickly as possible.

What most of them should actually be doing is engage in business
development activities which consist more of understanding the marketplace,
establishing partnerships, setting realistic goals based on solid data and
customising their products to match the local context (whatever that may
be).

Sorry guys, but Kenya is not a marketplace where "copy and paste"
strategies work - look at the myriad of failed international ventures that
have come here over the years...

Additionally - majority of the new entrants that come in and look for
personnel who have a track record of success. In such a young market as
ours this kind of approach overlooks the fact that those people have not
been tempered and refined by failure(s) and in many cases tend to
overestimate and overstate their expectations ....not realizing that market
entry is another form of startup enterprise which needs guts, thick skin,
street smarts and plenty of experience.

Brian