[kictanet] University of Nairobi Set Top Boxes

Phares Kariuki pkariuki at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 14:17:55 EAT 2013

I think solving and funding something like this would solve so many problems. It's not that there are no investors, just that they don't invest in such enterprises. We have folks like ICDC, Centum etc who can invest in such projects, but everyone at the moment is pumping money into real estate.  Why was Java bought by ECP and not Centum etc? It's not that there's not capital in Kenya, it's that most of it is oriented at real estate (btw, just so that I'm clear, I think foreign capital is great, I just think we need to at least try and come up with our own funds locally, eat our own dog food).

Additionally, the Universities themselves should have all the skillets (mechanical engineers, marketing folks, manufacturing etc, they are all trained within the university) required to launch such a business and might need a slight leap of faith from the government and investors.

I'm a firm believer in solving the root cause of problems - if the problem is capital - why don't we have capital. If the problem is education, what's wrong with the system. That way, the learnings can be passed to other industries.

Given that we would probably be importing the circuit boards and individual components, all we need to do is figure out assembly, packaging and supply. I think…

Regards,

Phares Kariuki

| T: +254 720 406 093 | E: pkariuki at gmail.com | Twitter: kaboro | Skype: kariukiphares | B: http://www.kaboro.com/ |