[kictanet] University of Nairobi Set Top Boxes

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 16:24:50 EAT 2013

@Dennis,

Give me a break.
How many "made in Kenya" electronics do you see on the streets/shops?
What is so difficult to produce between a motorcycle and an STB? Do you
produce motorcycles in KE? Or just bicycles?
We import all that. Now you are telling me we can produce electronics in
KE? Far from it.

I think those investors could first put their money on producing bikes,
then think electronics after 2030.

On 14 February 2013 15:54, Dennis Kioko <dmbuvi at gmail.com> wrote:

> At the launch of the National ICT Masterplan 2017, Dr. Ndemo mentioned
> that UoN had come up with a prototype Set Top Box, but had lacked investors
> to mass manufacture the same.
>
> Wouldn't have funds such as the Tandaa Grants and other funds the ICT
> Board is using to fund developers have come in handy here? Since most of
> the funds go to software applications, would have been good to fund this
> project, even if funding would mean that government maintained equity in
> the venture?
>
> --
> with Regards:
>
> blog.denniskioko.com <http://www.denniskioko.com/>