[kictanet] Off topic: COFEK

Brian Munyao Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 14:17:20 EAT 2013

I'm sorry but I must bring this up here as there was a recent discussion
involving COFEK.

Today I saw COFEK on social media calling consumers to join them in a
protest outside Govt printerr office. I followed the link indicated in
their post to find out what the fuss was about and found this:
*

The Consumers Federation of Kenya (Cofek) is concerned at the poor
performance by the office of the Government Printer headed by Mr Andrew
Rukaria (pictured).

Since assent of the Consumer Protection Act on December 13, 2012 the
Government Printer's office has been giving endless excuses from backlog to
lack of films and other materials. Meanwhile the Act remains unpublished
and it cannot be operationalized as a result.

Our numerous calls and letters have only yielded in unfulfilled and
indefinite pledges of printing the same. Mr Rukaria has also taken to
avoiding our calls.

>From the foregoing, we hereby demand for his voluntary resignation within
seven days. Failure to do so, Cofek will simultaneously seek for judicial
intervention.

Cofek, will after this ultimatum, mobilize consumers to physically eject
him from his office for his consistently poor and unacceptable performance.
*What I don't understand is:

   1. Since when was it that an Act cannot be operationalized simply
   because it hasn't been printed by Govt printers?
   2. Isn't there an electronic version of this Act that can be
   used/referred to in case of legal issues/action?
   3. Is there anything stopping COFEK from printing their own copies of
   the Act? (If they need it so badly)

Please enlighten me?
Mblayo