[kictanet] #KEDebate13

Matunda Nyanchama mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Wed Feb 13 11:37:59 EAT 2013

Wananchi

Just a quick peek into discussions during a break from the campaign trail! Yes, for those that are not aware, I am in the race to become Governor of Nyamira County. Should wananchi give me a nod, the ICT world will have a good advocate/friend at the pinnacle of power in Nyamira.

Back to the subject matter: in 2002 we at the Kenyan Community Abroad (KCA) broached this subject and even got funding to do presidential debates. It was a non-starter. The same happened in 2007 even when Kenyan media was ready to put up the show. (It's almost an experiment in "social change" with substantial lead time before an idea takes root.)

That aside, did you notice people that have been in government blaming the same government for ills afflicting that government. I heard little regarding what they did in their time to solve the problem(s).

Nonetheless, this was a milestone for Kenya and we can only move forward from here: improved, issue-based discussions so that we can see the differences (if any) of approaches taken by different parties/individuals. These debates, along with some I have seen for candidates for governor seats, are encouraging. Over time (perhaps a very long time) we shall wean of mwananchi off the notion that "my tribesman/clanisman" is best-placed to represent one's interests. And then, perhaps, manifestos will start making sense. Indeed, today one doesn't need a manifesto to win an election in Kenya so many parties/candidates don't take it seriously.

Let me go back to campaign issues (clan politics, education, roads, chai, wet lands, etc.) in Nyamira and for those that may wish to support us (e.g. with lunch for our volunteers), here are details:
Mpesa: 0718 631 747

MoneyGram: send us reference # to matunda at gmail.com
Paypal: info at matunda.org

Baraka kwenu nyote.
Matunda Nyanchama, PhD, CISSP; mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Agano Consulting Inc.;  www.aganoconsulting.com; Twitter: nmatunda;  Skype: okiambe
Be prepared for ICT security failures & know how to respond when they happen!
Call: +1-888-587-1150 or info at aganoconsulting.com
This e-mail, including attachments, may be privileged and may contain confidential or proprietary information intended only for the addressee(s). Any other distribution, copying, use, or disclosure is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete the message, including any attachments, without making a copy. Thank you.