[kictanet] Has IEBC Voter Register Been Compromised

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Mon Feb 11 04:57:47 EAT 2013

Harry

Interesting issue you raise here.

Question. In the era of Big Data should we wonder about this? Should we automatically point a finger at IEBC? In my humble opinion there are myriad other ways that the aspirant could have gotten your information. Let me count the possible ways:-

1. Telcos
2.  Hospitals
3. Check in books at various buildings ( ever wonder why Kenyans have a 'peculiar' way of asking you to fill in personal information including your mobile number, ID when you are visiting?)
4. Other Government & Company sources
5. Social Media sources like Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter
6. Institutions of learning
7. And the list goes on

I see the beginnings (baby steps for sure) of American style usage of Data for targeting voters. It may be questionable how this data is obtained but it is obtained. During the recent US Election Obama's data crunchers were able to distinguish and target specific voters with precise messaging:-

1. A confirmed Democrat will get an email/SMS//phone call to urge him/her to get out and vote (and for good measure bring someone else to vote for Obama!)

2. An undecided voter will get personalized communication tailored to convince him to vote in the right way.

You get the picture...

I believe it is Zuckerberg who paraphrased the now (in)famous statement - In the era of Social Media and voluntary sharing of personal information  Privacy is over rated..

This is just the tip of the iceberg. It is just a matter of time before we get our very own David Axelrod.

My two cents

Ali Hussein

+254 713 601113

Sent from my iPhone®