[kictanet] Slaying the Tribal Monster!

Edith Adera eadera at idrc.ca
Thu Feb 7 16:02:35 EAT 2013

Bwana Ndemo,

Glad to know you had a press conference to begin to tame this "monster".

I think the media can do more by creating a platform to allow us to begin to move as a nation towards healing, reconciliation and cohesion. What we seem to be lacking as a country is a unifying, strategic framework with clear phased out plan for implementation that would move us in that direction so we can "unlearn" what is entrenched in our systems and build a better Kenya. I don't know what NCIC is doing except chasing "haters" (read "hate speech"), but I think a more coherent and strategic approach is required involving the media and galvanizing the citizens around it.

This is what the media should have "time" for rather than to over-politicize everything....and waste valuable airtime on politicians who are not helping us move forward as a country....then ordinary citizens become spectators. For example Julie's past show "fist to five" is a good example of how you can take a nation through dealing with the reality (tribalism) & healing, but you MUST then follow immediately with a strategy to take the nation to a place of healing and cohesion - and there are ways to do that at a national level.

Infact, I was wondering, by now we should have "unpacked" all Presidential candidates like is done elsewhere (e.g. US and other places) to really know who they are.....past performance/achievements, social life, weaknesses, etc etc and focus on how they can deliver on real issues. (without tearing ourselves apart). Secondly, we should not vote "6 piece suit" but for every elective position gauge against leadership standards so you chose the right leader irrespective of their party (what is called "skirt and blouse" or "trouser and shirt" elsewhere)...NO 6 piece suits (they don't exist in the world anyway!)

I was in Ghana for official duty during their Presidential campaigns (just before the election day), I was amazed at how the candidates were so much under scrutiny from citizens that they could not focus on anything else except "desperately sell their development agendas"...and on the sidelines civil society were busy traversing the country preaching peach and many saying "we can't afford a Kenya here in Ghana" (yet to me, it seemed peaceful and the indicators of potential violence were not obvious...so their level of desperation for peace caught my attention). When I enquired, some said we have been through hell as a nation with many coup d'états and wars that they have come to a place where they fight for peace first! Do we want to go through that pain to learn?

I recall the IEBC chair reporting after his return from monitoring the Ghanaian that he was impressed at how everyone carried themselves including the media.

Why are we allowing this madness in Kenya? The media needs to rethink and revisit their editorial policies and strategies. I hope Citizen TV and others are listening

Edith