[kictanet] [ISOC_KE] Citizen Saga, is it an oxymoron?

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 10:47:01 EAT 2013

Barrack,

It is abit difficult to excuse Royal Media on this one...they did hoard frequencies and in any case they are not denying this.  As for serving the under-served or marginalized areas, they are indeed welcome to do so but they would still need Regulatory approval.  Yes, the Universal Service Fund/Commission may not be operationalized but that is not a sufficient excuse - the lawyers would say the END never justifies the MEANS.

MPESA analogy may not fit here since MPESA was and its derivatives will continue to be ahead of the (technology) laws as always - but in this case,  the frequency spectrum management and laws are almost as old as the Telegram (1890s) and were incorporated into  Kenyan law as early as the 1998 Kenya Communication Act. (15 years ago)

Finally, as I posted earlier, I support the CCK action and the reasons advanced by Wambua/CCK - but still concur with the MD of Royal Media when he says and i quote, "the timing of the action was quite curious" - when all variables* are considered (last portion my words).

walu.
*variables include Layer8 issues e.g Politics which is normal in all societies; that National Politics  does affect businesses/technologies/etc/  and we should not try too hard to ran away from this fact because it is not automatically/always a bad thing.  If for example, it took some political (mis?)calculation to give the Regulator some confidence to swing into action in order to save our Presidential Candidates and the general Kenyan airspace from calamity -  then that's a good thing if you asked me.

CCK should simply keep the tempo and extend that spirit to the many others who maybe sitting on frequencies that were irregularly acquired when these variables* were initially favourable to them.