[kictanet] CCK shuts down illegal broadcast transmitters

Paul Roy roykoikai at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 11:09:07 EAT 2013

Politics politics and more politics. It took CCK over 5 years to realize
that RMS was using illegal frequencies? Surely CCK had a political motive
to act now especially around the election time. If RMS has been operating
illegal frequencies for all this time, then someone at CCK needs to answer
some questions and step aside for investigations.

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM, George Nyabuga <george at afrinic.net> wrote:

> I find it funny that people are reading 'politics' here when it is clear
> that Royal Media Services had clearly broken the law, 'grabbed' frequencies
> and acted with 'impunity'. Although I am a great supporter of the freedom
> of the media, and right to information, CCK acted within the law by
> shutting down the transmitters. I also find it odd that Justice David
> Majanja issued the order restraining the Communications Commission of
> Kenya from interfering with 18transmitters on Sunday. I hope such court
> services can be extended to the 'common people' who continue to suffer
> injustice. Perhaps CCK can also tell us how many 'legitimate' frequencies
> Royal Media Services has besides  62 FM ones( is this figure correct) it
> reportedly 'hoards'. Why does Royal Media Services think it's above the
> law? I find it absolutely ludicrous that this can be allowed to continue,
> and that some (especially (even senior) politicians) think the shut down is
> politically motivated.
>

> Dr George Nyabuga                                                 Tel:   +230
> 403 51 00
> Head, Communications and PR, AFRINIC           Fax:  +230 466 67 58
> george at afrinic.net - www.afrinic.net

> Please join us at the Africa Internet Summit, Lusaka, Zambia, 9 – 21 June
> 2013

> On Feb 3, 2013, at 11:46 PM, "Grace Mutung'u (Bomu)" <nmutungu at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> and  then came the court orders...on a good sunday!
>
> 2013/2/3, Grace Githaiga <ggithaiga at hotmail.com>:
>

> Finally!
> CCK has taken the right direction and should not be cowed by all the noise
> in
> the blogsphere. The law must be enforced regardless of the timing. An
> illegality is an illegality. Kindly let us not politicize the matter.
> Enforcement of this judgment does not in any way relate to SK supporting
> CORD.
> This should be seen as a pure enforcement of a broadcast requirement.
>

> Broadcast
> licences have conditions and CCK does warn against their breaching.
> For example CCK is usually clear on power of transmitter, the radius of
> broadcast, the equipment that is approved etc. If for example you go beyond
> that radius, or use a more powerful transmitter and therefore interfere
> with
> other stations' signals, you breach the law and CCK has to come in.
> Further,
> in
> this case, RMS was given sufficient time to put in corrective measures.
>

> This
> court case between RMS and CCK has been going on for a while. Please read:
>
> http://kenyalaw.org/CaseSearch/view_preview1.php?link=70542457891338696266282
>

> Just
> to highlight a few things:
>
> CCK
> [...]

"Change is slow and gradual. It requires hardwork, a bit of
luck, a fair amount of self-sacrifice and a lot of patience."

Roy.