[kictanet] 3 Media houses protest Majanja's Digital Migration Ruling

S.M. Muraya murigi.muraya at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 01:03:00 EAT 2013

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 9:19 AM, Mutua, Muthusi <Mutua at cck.go.ke> wrote:

>  There are particular tenders, even in Kenya, that are subject to
> demonstration of a certain percentage of local participation. This cannot,
> however, be used across the board even for services that don't require this
> kind of treatment.

Not sure when and by whom was it decided, certain critical services in
Kenya do not have to involve Kenyan firms.

Do we develop local capacity through procurement laws which ensure foreign
firms manage our critical local/distribution infrastructure?

Note Euro vs China Policy:
http://www.slideshare.net/IPRChina/technology-transfer-to-china-guidance-for-business-4312244

Does Kenyan procurement/policy require foreign firms to engage in joint
(technical) ventures with firms majority owned by Kenyans?

Suspect... Mobitelea was a case of politically "correct" ghosts getting a
5% cut in a Telco. Was it a Kenyan firm with even a small track record of
telco/service provision in Kenya, with evidence it was committed to
developing local talent and capabilities?

As we argue through, what's the definition of local media? Is it one local
> player, two or three of them separately or together? Must these entities
> also be separately 100% Kenyan in equity? Is KBC a local media?
>
> The media/content which enters the Kenyan home/office may originate from
MARS, but the "last mile" infrastructure/frequency through which the
digital content enters the home/office, is licensed/managed in Kenya.

In the finance sector is shareholding by any one individual or entity not
limited to 24.99%. Kenyans should own over 50% of the firms managing signal
distribution.

Let's also appreciate that unless anyone has been denied the chance to
> participate in a tender, a loss of the bid doesn't amount to being barred
> from the process.

If being required to have prior engagements in multiple million dollar
contracts is not being barred from the tendering process, then you are
correct.