[kictanet] 3 Media houses protest Majanja's Digital Migration Ruling

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Fri Dec 27 12:52:12 EAT 2013

ICT Researcher

We don't leave in a utopian world..He who pays the piper calls the tune.

At the risk of belaboring the point it is a competitive issue that has to be addressed. In fact we are already seeing trends of content providers and infrastructure owners morphing into one:-

1. Google is busy laying fibre/buying fibre across the world
2. Facebook is doing the same
3. Zuku is a triple play player - owning the infrastructure and at the same time involved heavily in content creation and distribution
4. Safaricom is moving the same way.
5. Infact all across the world we are seeing the convergence of content and infrastructure.

This is partly due to competitive pressures and at the same time an answer to policy, regulatory and legislative pressures.

By the way one of the key bones of contention at WCIT12 in Dubai was the principle of  whether content providers should pay telcos to carry their content.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2011/02/14/should-content-providers-pay-telcos-to-carry-their-data/

The point is that there is no simple answer to this.

@Wambua - lastly I'm really curious as to what shareholder (percentage terms) was offered to the media Owners in Signet.  And whether the Media owners are just Wagging the dog and distracting from the real issues or it is the Government that is Wagging the dog.

Bottom-line? There has been too much brinkmanship on both sides and its time to sit down and sort these issues out for the betterment of the country.

Ali Hussein

+254 0770 906375 / 0713 601113

"I fear the day technology will surpass human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots".  ~ Albert Einstein

Sent from my iPad