[kictanet] 3 Media houses protest Majanja's Digital Migration Ruling

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Fri Dec 27 11:28:28 EAT 2013

On Thu, 2013-12-26 at 21:49 +0000, Omo, John wrote:
> Thanks Steve,
> The question you raise to Mr Wambua has been answered on this thread:
> there is currently not enough spectrum to licence a third operator .

I don't understand the "not enough spectrum" position. Technically
speaking,

1 - with Analogue switched off - there will be more unused spectrum. I'm
sure plans are being made as to how it will be used though.

2 - The two licensed holders presumably have enough spectrum to both
distribute and broadcast all current TV stations - plus many, many
more..

I guess the issue is TV signal producers (content) would rather
distribute and broadcast (control) their own signal rather than enrich
and be held hostage (unknown performance/censored) by a third party?

That's a familiar argument.