[kictanet] 3 Media houses protest Majanja's Digital Migration Ruling

Bernard Kioko [Bernsoft Group] bkioko at bernsoft.com
Thu Dec 26 19:26:51 EAT 2013

Waithaka,

Quick notes..

The advantages of remaining analog are only with the existing broadcasters -
IN MY VIEW!. Even the viewers would rather not watch unclear pictures
without sufficient choices/options.

1.      Remaining Analog means we cannot have any more TV stations in
Nairobi especially. There are no more frequencies to be issued by CCK. This
means TV broadcast remains a cartel really. Moving to Digital however means
we can have MANY more TV stations - as at a month ago, I checked with CCK
and they had "licensed" over 60 digital TV stations of which about 20 were
already live.

2.      Moving to digital means ALL TV stations are on same platform and
level - on that decoder. It's the quality and relevance of the content that
will matter to the viewer. Same way DSTV has many channels but you know
which ones have what you want. This creates major fears for "lazy stations"
that have been feeding Kenyans with what they want and disregarding
everything else. In their current state, many of these stations will lose
out to younger more innovative broadcasters. Take for example - its been
10yrs since people started sending SMS to stations during news - why are we
still sending the SMS in the same exact way? Why haven't these stations made
any further innovation? When a younger broadcaster changes this to
SMS-TV-2.0 what will that mean to older ones?

3.      December is a revenue earner - many advertisements run during this
time. Disrupting viewership in any way means advertisers may hold ad
revenue. Infact this revenue issue am told is mentioned as a reason for
resisting the change. However, it's these same media owners that proposed
December (according to CS Information). This part really makes me want to
laugh!

4.      In real sense, it will indeed cost Kenyans that wish to watch tv
some money to move to digital (at least that one time cost for the set top
box). This point is clear BUT as a country we have had 7 years to preach
this. Why are they now telling us Kenyans are not ready or able? They failed
to run TV and Print adverts that CCK was paying for to educate viewer. We
now have over 1million set top boxes lying somewhere yet in 5hrs, there will
be a rush and scrabble. Although this point is acknowledged, the reason I
quickly dismiss it is because in our nature as Kenyans, we have a habit of
waiting for the last minute or "when we really have to". The issue of people
that cannot afford the device is valid but only to some extend - when are we
going to ensure everyone can afford a set top box so that we can migrate?

5.      If you were around when mobiles made their entry into Kenya, you
could not actuallyl buy a mobile phone for less than 10k - most going to
30k..i saw numbers grow from 10..500..900,000, 1.5m.. now you know how large
these numbers are like. I am of the opinion that Kenyans will indeed move to
digital to watch tv. There might be an inconvenience here and there..but
they will. Remember Michuki rules? We complied..for the better. Mututho? We
are complying.for the better. Even digital we will comply.for our better!

Anyway, I do agree that the media houses have issues that need dialogue, but
I also understand (from the CS) that they have consistently shut the
dialogue!

I could be wrong - but I am an Digital Migration Evangelist - self appointed
- so forgive me if I am.

Regards