[kictanet] 3 Media houses protest Majanja's Digital Migration Ruling

Bernard Kioko [Bernsoft Group] bkioko at bernsoft.com
Thu Dec 26 13:57:11 EAT 2013

Dennis, well put.

From: kictanet
[mailto:kictanet-bounces+bkioko=bernsoft.com at lists.kictanet.or.ke] On Behalf
Of Dennis Kioko
Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2013 1:38 PM
To: bkioko at bernsoft.com
Cc: Consumer and Public Affairs; kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke
Subject: Re: [kictanet] 3 Media houses protest Majanja's Digital Migration
Ruling

The interesting issue here is that in 2013, an "independent" Kenya media is
totally unable to accurately report on its own issues. Yes, there may be
issues such as the prominence of a group of Chinese Investors in setting up
Signet, PAG and StarTimes, and as Christopher has pointed out, the
government has tried to meet broadcasters halfway. All these received
minimal coverage, with the media believing ignoring the whole issue would
make it go away.

Rather than factual reporting and having a sense of direction, the media, of
all institutions, has opted for lies, court cases and childish boycotts.

It is no wonder that majority of the population barley understands digital
migration and the circus behind it. Clearly, the issue here is not the
migration.

This is the same media that we expect to counter balance the government and
to be the societal watchman.

It is also of no surprise that the government is able to pass harmful laws
and seems to get away with anything. The president even feels comfortable
that he does not read newspapers.

Let us all hope that digital migration will actually result in actual media
houses and save the industry from such shame and clulessness.