[kictanet] 3 Media houses protest Majanja's Digital Migration Ruling

Ohaga JB durojb at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 06:43:05 EAT 2013

@Ali I might be wrong bt did the govt not already practice some aspect of
protectionism by awarding KBC the license without subjecting it to a tender
process? Believe it or not KBC is owned by the Kenyan public n whether it
underperforms or not is a different kettle of soup altogether. Plus KBC
insists tht Signet is actually an independent subsidiary with its own
independent human resource n management n with a different mandate from
that of KBC thus as such will actually perform much better than everyone is
forecasting. On free markets, its not true to keep saying tht it only
applies in Africa, Ofcom usually holds public auctions of licences where
the bottom line is cash, the one with the deepest pocket wins. Sky Mobile
always wins n yet its Australian/American!
Ps. N why are the media houses fighting the migration anyways? Even if we
let them be, the world will be migrating by 2015 so who will they fight
then? N it's abt time someone reminded the Kenyan media that they're really
not as powerful as they seem to think, they're beginning to lose battles
from all fronts. In judicial courts, at the president's court, even on
social media. I didn't read that many flattering reactions to their ill
informed broadcast boycott. N they're perpetrating a lot of
misrepresentation of facts. After the ruling, The Standard carried a front
page story with the title 'KTN, NTV n Citizen to be switched off' like the
three have been singled out. The question now is whether the 'critical
issues' that they claim have not been addressed are in the interests of
private capital or the Kenyan public?