[kictanet] How much is Telkom Kenya really worth? MPs say Kenya lost Sh30bn in Telkom deal

Mark Mwangi mwangy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 15:50:07 EAT 2013

@Philip Please qualify your Outlandish statements. how is this our fault?
Safaricom has for years demonstrated that this is a profitable market.

@Brian this is similar to the RVR fiasco with the South African firm. The
intention was never to revive the railway but to strip it and milk it for
all its worth. I suspect that France Telekom is playing a similar game
albeit differently. The gradual reduction of the government's shareholding
is not an accident. Probably want the government to throw in the towel and
reduce shareholding to a point that it will effectively be owned by the
French. Then you will hear about the profits after they change the CEO
install a media loving one like Bob Collymore. This way all profits are
shipped outta the country and minimal dividends are payed to the pesky
government.

The strategy is to loose money, ask for cash infusion knowing KE government
doesn't want that story and the demand share dilution.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 3:12 PM, Philip Adar <philip.adar at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you were to dig deep into the rot causes of situation with this
> operator, you will notice that the problems is NOT the expatriates, but
> rather the problem lies with us (Kenyans).
>

> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 2:54 PM, Brian Munyao Longwe <blongwe at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Ali,
>>
>> This is a complex argument with many sides.
>>
>> In my honest opinion I think Kenya should do what Rwanda did. Take the
>> bitter medicine and kick out the "strategic investors" who continue to
>> bleed the company with expensive expatriate salaries, fat expense accounts,
>> exorbitant "management fees" and poor decision making and look for local
>> solutions. As it is, the investors have failed miserably to deliver on the
>> promises that won them the deal in the first place.
>>
>> Read more about Rwanda's experiences here:
>> http://en.igihe.com/news/the-collapse-of-rwandatel-what-went-wrong
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Brian
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 4:55 AM, Ali Hussein <ali at hussein.me.ke> wrote:
>>
>>> Listers
>>>
>>> The Telkom Kenya saga continues to 'fascinate'
>>>

>>> http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/MPs+say+Kenya+lost+Sh30+billion+in+Telkom+deal+/-/539546/1970470/-/item/0/-/cfsw31/-/index.html
>>>
>>> Should the government continue to throw good money after bad? Or should
>>> we cut our losses and let management/new owners sort out the mess?
>>>
>>> What are these strategic assets that continue to remain in Telkom Kenya?
>>>
>>> My take is that the government is doing the right thing by stopping to
>>> send more money to the hemorrhaging former giant.
>>>
>>> Ali Hussein
>>> CEO | 3mice interactive media Ltd
>>> Principal | Telemedia Africa Ltd
>>>
>>> +254 713 601113/ 0770 906375
>>>
>>>  "The future belongs to him who knows how to wait." - Russian Proverb
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPad

> Regards
>
> Philip Adar

Regards,