[kictanet] AIRTEL REIGNITES TARIFF WARS

Mark Mwangi mwangy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 15:05:56 EAT 2013

I wonder why networks like Airtel are not flogging twin SIM Phones.
Safaricom are not their competitors. Different lanes.  They will not win
against Queen bee. They can however cannibalize their voice and text
market. Twin Sims are the only way to do this in my opinion. Let users keep
the Safaricom Line but offer them a "Mpango wa Kando" line that they can
use for Data, Voice ETC when they are feeling broke. Same phone 2 SIMS.

Attacking Safaricom will only wound them. I for instance will not dump my
Safaricom Line even if calls are free on the other networks. I however
operate an Orange line for voice and data. Split the revenue. But Alas walk
into an Airtel shop and their handsets are ridiculously priced symbian
things.

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 2:50 PM, James Mbugua <jgmbugua at gmail.com> wrote:

> Listers
>
> It looks like Airtel have used the lowering of interconnection (MTR) rates
> by CCK to restart the tariff wars.
>
> They have introduced a promo tariff for Sh2/- per minute across all
> networks.
>
> I wonder how the other operators will respond.
>
> I thought one of their recent business moves was wise amidst many baffling
> ones but I'm not sure where to place this one.
>
> James

Regards,

Mark Mwangi

markmwangi.me.ke