[kictanet] KENYA POWER TO 'EXIT' RURAL ELECTRIFICATION MARKET - A CASE OF THE TAIL WAGING THE DOG?

James Mbugua jgmbugua at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 16:10:44 EAT 2013

Dennis

One of the things KPLC is looking at is partnering with those counties that
are ready and proactive; that will provide land for substations and
wayleaves, the company will partner with them to rapidly scale up expansion
of connections in these counties.

This is important if you consider that one of the reasons Nairobi's power
has issues is because a 400KV (High Voltage) line running from Mombasa to
Nairobi has stalled just outside Nairobi as the likes of KWS refuse to give
way leaves citing bird migration.

As a result, power from Kipevu III has to be rerouted through Kindaruma
first and then to Nairobi and this over a lower capacity line meaning more
power losses.

The line from Ethiopia to Suswa to bring in 400MW is already running into
issues as some ranchers in Laikipia don't want to give wayleaves.

The power sector is beset by many challenges and cooperation from Counties
to facilitate faster completion of projects would result in overall better
access to energy for all.

James