[kictanet] Equity says M-Pesa lines should be open

Bernard Kioko [Bernsoft Interactive Limited] bkioko at bernsoft.com
Tue Aug 6 13:12:45 EAT 2013

I actually believe that Safaricom has already opened up MPESA and will continue to open it up but that depends  on the value the opening up presents to Safaricom. I always like to use examples that are based on experiences.

My company a year ago developed a system for MPESA that makes MPESA transactions realtime – this is why when you pay DSTV your account gets reconnected immediately or when you deposit money to your bank from MPESA its realtime or why your KPLC payment is more realtime than it was before. We developed this system called “MPESA Instant Payment Notification” originally for use on Kenya Airways ticketing then presented it to Safaricom and they liked the idea thus opened up MPESA for us to integrate with and so most if not all of MPESA Paybill /Bug Good Transactions are now processed through this locally developed system.

Isn’t this opening up MPESA? I think Equity must justify the opening up they wish for and give value to Safaricom in order to bring Safaricom to their advantage.

Kind Regards,

Bernard Kioko
Chief Executive Officer

Bernsoft Interactive Limited