[kictanet] Equity says M-Pesa lines should be open

Mark Mwangi mwangy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 09:15:51 EAT 2013

In my opinion what Equity is asking for is for a common platform aka a
common account that can be credited and debited by airtel money, yu cash
orange money, tangaza etc in the manner that a visa credit card is open
game for any merchant, bank etc. This way M-pesa becomes a platform and not
a safaricom product.

I actually don't see how Safaricom looses in this scenario. Exponentially
more transaction fee collections, Increased dependence by industry players,
maintain the intellectual property and ownership of the platform etc.

Maybe they are reluctant due to technological immaturity. I also wouldn't
want to embarrass myself after being feted worldwide.

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 8:31 PM, Kivuva <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com> wrote:

> @areba, what Equity wants, if I'm not wrong is the ability for you to
> setup a club within MPESA where you can use the platform to transfer
> funds without them passing through Safaricom.
>
> The MPESA platform becomes  an enabler.  Unless anybody else has a
> better understanding.

Regards,

Mark Mwangi

markmwangi.me.ke