[kictanet] Can Kenya (and Africa emulate the IIT (India Institutes of Technology) Strategy?

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Tue Apr 23 05:33:13 EAT 2013

Listers

It seems like the new President heard our pleas of stopping the conversion of all mid-tier colleges and polytechnics to full blow universities. Or maybe our thoughts coincidentally aligned,

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Government-plans-technical-colleges-for-each-county/-/539546/1750380/-/rnbaopz/-/index.html

How can we ensure the rhetoric moves from theory to practice and beyond? To actually strengthen the polytechnics and colleges to become world class reminiscent of the Indian Institutes of Technology?

These should be engrained into an act of parliament and the Departments of Science & Technology should work in tandem with the ICT Ministry to make them a reality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Institutes_of_Technology

THE IITs were a key pilar in making India the Technology Powerhouse it is today.

I hope the incoming ICT Ministry senior team makes a deliberate and concerted effort to make this a reality. And I do hope that the rest of Africa follows suit. We must step on the shoulder of giants to realize our dreams.

Ali Hussein
CEO | 3mice interactive media Ltd
Principal | Telemedia Africa Ltd

+254 713 601113

"The future belongs to him who knows how to wait." - Russian Proverb

Sent from my iPad