[kictanet] Posta Kenya closes 56 outlets

Joseph Mucheru mucheru at google.com
Mon Apr 22 09:38:55 EAT 2013

Ali,

Maybe we should propose a few things they can do. For example, If they are
looking at re-inventing themselves, (especially since we are moving from
Analogue to Digital), they can look Online stowing boxes which are now big
business in the US where they have full addressing systems;

Examples:
- Amazon Locker Delivery: Experience Convenience
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000841451

- Wal-Mart to test online delivery lockers in stores
http://news.msn.com/us/wal-mart-to-test-online-delivery-lockers-in-stores

- kiosks from BufferBox, a startup offering lockers for stowing online
purchases
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/04/google-bufferbox-coming-to-san-francisco-soon/

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 5:06 AM, Ali Hussein <ali at hussein.me.ke> wrote:

> Listers
>
> Hidden among the statistics released by CCK is the state of Posta Kenya.
>

> http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Corporate-News/Postal-Kenya-closes-56-outlets-as-business-falls/-/539550/1754446/-/ppm2vtz/-/index.html
>
> Yet despite the dire straits the state corporation seems to be in it still
> could reinvent itself. Posta is in dire need of re-inventing itself ala
> Deutsche Post which reverse took-over DHL and benefited from its logistics
> and savvy managerial skills. Is the semi-privatization of Posta Kenya
> imminent? Is it the only thing that can save it? Should the
> Government/Posta seriously look at this option? I dare say we must move
> poste haste (pun intended) or be confined to the fate of the US Postal
> Service which seems incapable of getting out of its morose state.
>
> The article below Wikipedia gives a good background to the Deutsche Post
> story.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_Post
>

> Ali Hussein
> CEO | 3mice interactive media Ltd
> Principal | Telemedia Africa Ltd
>
> +254 713 601113
>
> "The future belongs to him who knows how to wait." - Russian Proverb
>
> Sent from my iPad

Joe Mũcherũ
Regional Lead, Sub-Saharan Africa
Google Kenya
7th Floor, Purshottam Place
Westlands Road
P O Box 66217 - 00800 Westlands
Nairobi,
KENYA

+254 20 360 1701 Office
+254 20 360 1100 Fax
+254 20 360 1000 Switch Board (Regus)

+254 722522135 Mobile

http://www.google.com

This email may be confidential or privileged.  If you received this
communication by mistake, please don't forward it to anyone else, please
erase all copies and attachments, and please let me know that it went to
the wrong person.  Thanks.