[kictanet] Growth in internet subscription-interrogating the CCK report

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Sat Apr 20 09:31:43 EAT 2013

Mark and all

You make valid points. I have a few of my own:-

1. I think that the government up to this point is way ahead of the private sector in the broadband space. My question (that I have severally asked) is why can't the players embrace the infrastructure sharing principle? This is a no-brainier in terms of pulling resources together and ultimately reduce the time to Break-even and eventually result in lower prices and hence more customers. Maybe TESPOK could tell us the pro & cons of doing this. Maybe we are being too simplistic and there are other issues that need to be resolved.

2. Fibre or 3G or LTE. I think a combination of wireless and Fibre would be advisable as there will still be places in our country that may not make sense (if we only focus on the profit motive) for fibre or the cost may be too prohibitive.

The venture of O3b Networks which is a good lesson/venture to bring broadband internet via low orbiting satellites is worth looking at. The network will combine the ubiquitous reach of satellite with the speed of fiber to deliver satellite internet services and mobile backhaul services to emerging markets. The name "O3b" stands for "[The] Other 3 Billion", referring to the population of the world where broadband internet is not available without help. Is this something that the Government can look at through the Universal Access Fund?

3. I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the government through the Universal Access Fund should be playing a more central role improving access to broadband in our country. Like Electricity, broadband cannot (and should not) be confined to the vagaries of profit alone. A mix of both is critical. Value Added Services can then be used to drive profitability. Now that the universal Access Fund Board is in place we expect them to move with the speed required to ensure that broadband at affordable costs is available to all in the counties. It is nonsensical that in 2013 Nyeri, Kilifi, Lamu etc still do not have access to affordable broadband. Lets not even start talking about Lodwar, Wajir etc.

4.  To ensure that we have a proliferation of mini ihubs, Nailabs and other labs in the counties we must revert to the robust and well proven Multi-stakeholder model to ensure universal access of broadband. How otherwise will the laptop/tablet for children work? Do we expect them to be buying bundles every other day from the service providers?

The swahili have a saying - Udongo upatilize ukali maji (to mould clay you must do it while its wet). It is said that we are migrants to the Internet and that our children are natives of the Internet. Is this really true of every child in the country? A thumb suck estimate is that less than 10% of our children across the country have access to the Internet. Is this what we want to confine our country to? In 2013? That our children going forward will be migrants to the net instead of natives?

I put it to us that sometimes we wallow in so much discourse in our ivory towers that we actually forget what it is like for the rest of the country..

Ali Hussein
CEO | 3mice interactive media Ltd
Principal | Telemedia Africa Ltd

+254 713 601113

"The future belongs to him who knows how to wait." - Russian Proverb

Sent from my iPad