[kictanet] Kenya as perceived in the Caribbean press

Paul Kukubo pkukubo at ict.go.ke
Tue Apr 16 23:43:46 EAT 2013

Listers

Following my recent visit to represent Dr Ndemo in Kingston Jamaica, on
invitation from faculty at the University Of West Indies, Mona School of
Business, the following article appeared in their leading local daily and
online.

The visit included presentations to the Business Leaders including meetings
with CEOs of some of their leading companies, (including publicly listed
Gracekennedy), visits to their university campus, meetings with the
software developer groups including sitting through presentations by
applications developers and an evening at the national stadium to watch the
Technology Univeristy track and field games. (Incidentally the story of
their athletics development is another story on its own, considering that
Mona Campus hosts Usain Bolt's training track and the schools is developing
a sports science and sports management degree).

Jamaica GDP per capita 9100usd. Kenya 1200usd. Country feels and looks like
Kenya in the 80s. One marked thing was the university students ability to
articulate suggested that their English language instruction was very good
and the University student lecturer relationship was very respectful. The
quality of technical skills seemed very high, our developers see, a lot
more business savvy from most of the tech fests I have attended here.

We agreed to conclude partnership that would allow us to expose our
developer community to theirs and vice versa. They have a deep interest in
Kenyan developers and entrepreneurs  who's have mobile application
experience because they are just finalizing their regulations to allow
mobile payments.

It was an eye opener with respect to where opportunity may lie.

Anyway, here is a link to the story.
http://www.ict-pulse.com/2013/04/5-key-takeaways-ict-development-caribbean-silicon-savannah/

I shared this on tweeter and Facebook quite widely as it happened.

Paul Kukubo
CEO, Kenya ICT Board

--
Paul Kukubo
Chief Executive Officer, Kenya ICT Board

12th Floor, Teleposta Towers Koinange Street

Tel +254 20 2089061, +254 20 2211960
Fax: +254 20 2211962
website: www.ict.go.ke
local content project: www.tandaa.co.ke, www.facebook.com/tandaakenya
twitter:@tandaaKENYA
BPO Project: www. doitinkenya.co.ke
Digital Villages Project: www.pasha.co.ke

personal contacts
_______________

Cell: + 254 717 180001

skype: kukubopaul
googletalk: pkukubo
personal blog: www.paulkukubo.co.ke
personal twitter: @pkukubo

Vision: Kenya becomes a top ten global ICT hub

Mission: To champion and actively enable Kenya to adopt and exploit ICT,
through promotion of partnerships, investments and infrastructure growth
for socio economic enrichment