[kictanet] [Skunkworks] Google Kenya hacked?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 15:19:59 EAT 2013

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 3:02 AM, Adam Nelson <adam at varud.com> wrote:

> I brought it up a few months ago in Skunkworks, but until the .ke top
> level domain is signed,

of course, you have to sign .co.ke AND google.co.ke for DNSSEC to mitigate
against cache poisoning.

> you can't really trust the identify of any site under .ke that doesn't use
> an SSL certificate (i.e. the regular google.co.ke without "https").
>
> http://stats.research.icann.org/dns/tld_report/
>
> I'm pretty confident that Google's systems weren't cracked and that this
> was something like a DNS attack on one of the ISPs or similar.

Probably:

 here is the *dig* result for *google.co.ke* from server 8.8.8.8 [dig @
8.8.8.8 google.co.ke A]

 ; <<>> DiG 9.7.3 <<>> @8.8.8.8 google.co.ke A
 ; (1 server found)
 ;; global options: +cmd
 ;; Got answer:
 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

 ;; QUESTION SECTION:
 ;google.co.ke.			IN	A

 ;; ANSWER SECTION:
 google.co.ke.		300	IN	A	173.194.35.152